We often travel across the country for client events, and as the company photographer, half of what I need to bring with me is gear. So, over the years, my travel buddy Nadia and I have developed some of our own travel tips and tricks:
- I like to carry an insulated bottle, like a Hydro Flask. It keeps me from using plastic bottles (yay, Earth!), and it assures me a cold beverage whenever needed. Right before I arrive at the gate, I stop somewhere and get a fountain beverage to pour into my bottle. This way, I don’t have to wait until we’re in the air more than an hour to get something cold to drink. Cheers!
- Pack peanut-free snacks for flights and long events.
- Hotel curtains never seem to close all the way. Use the clothes hangers for pants with the clips to keep them shut. Thanks, Nadia, for that one!
- Pack shoes in plastic bags so they don’t get the rest of your clothes dirty.
- Invest in a good suitcase (that’s another blog!) and battery power pack.
- I don’t have room to carry a purse on the plane — note: photographer — so I slide my wallet and other needed items into my carry-on and pack a canvas tote to use as purse when I arrive at my destination.
- Pack similar color schemes for attire, so you can mix and match for multiple looks without packing multiple bags.
- Sign up for loyalty programs. They’re usually free and the perks add up!
- Always, always snap a #worktripselfie with your travel buddy. The pictures become a fun tradition and virtual souvenir of your trip. One less thing to pack
Tiffannie Bond is Imagine’s company photographer and director of public relations. She travels across the United States taking photos for clients.