A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of attending South by Southwest (SXSW). SXSW is a marketing mecca full of industry superstars willing to share their knowledge with the masses. After sifting through pages and pages of notes from all of the various sessions, I’ve narrowed down my top five takeaways from the conference.
- Have an opinion. Make choices for your brand that make people feel seen and heard.
- Be mindful of what you share and apply to your business. Just because something comes from the industry does not mean it is the truth or the best practice.
- The best ROI you can have is providing value and establishing a personal connection with your audience.
- Words matter, our word choice often has greater implications outside of literal meaning. Make deliberate word choices for distinct audiences
- Creative agencies need to step up their game. The same old tricks are not working for new clients.
So, how am I applying all the knowledge I’ve gained? As I started working post conference, I began to question myself. Am I creating content that provides value? Is this industry practice really what’s best for me? Am I using the right words for the right people? We all know marketing is an ever-changing industry; evolution is the key to success for brands, agencies and clients.
Anna Vicari is a social media consultant who graciously agreed to share her SXSW experience as a guest blogger for Imagine.